Circus elephants heading east in the 600 block of North Carolina Avenue SE, are turning into old stables (behind Eastern Market) where they presumably will stay during the run of the circus. About 1948.
The stables belonged to the fire station in that block (now the site of the Rumsey Aquatic Center) and had previously been used to house fire horses. Watching the annual show are fIremen from the station and other neighbors. The Hoffmann family home at 616 North Carolina Avenue SE is across the street, with the peaked roof and front porch.